Featured on BBC One’s Northern Justice & Morning Live


Final Salary or Defined Benefit Pension Transfer Claims

Civil Service Pension Transfer Claims

Quick Guide

  • As the Civil Service Pension Scheme is a risk free and dependable pension, it is rarely a good idea to transfer out.
  • Some Civil Servants have been persuaded by financial advisers to move their final salary pensions and have lost thousands.
  • TLW Solicitors can see if you have lost out and are owed compensation.

Were you a civil servant who transferred out of the pension scheme?

Were you advised to move your pension into a private scheme?

If you or a loved one were a Civil Servant and transferred out of a final salary pension scheme, then you may be entitled to compensation.

Many Civil Servants have been told by their financial advisers to transfer their risk-free, government – backed Civil Service Pension, also known as a defined benefit pension, to a  private scheme, including Self Invested Personal Pensions (SIPPs) and may have lost out.

As final salary pensions are a very solid and dependable source of retirement income, there must be a strong reason to transfer this into another private pension.

The advice to transfer was given by a range of Independent Financial Advisers including agents from some well-known and trusted brands such as:

  • Abbey Life
  • Aegon UK
  • Allied Dunbar
  • Aviva
  • Co-Operative
  • Friends Provident
  • Legal & General
  • Lloyds TSB
  • Norwich Union
  • Pearl Assurance
  • Prudential
  • Scottish Amicable
  • Scottish Widows
  • Standard Life
  • Sun Life
  • Zurich

TLW Solicitors specialise in helping clients who have been given negligent final salary pension advice. These claims can be high value, with many clients not appreciating how much they have lost until we apply for an up to date valuation from their previous pension provider. This valuation shows what the pension may have been worth had it not been transferred.

Whilst some of these transfers were made many years ago, you may still be able to claim compensation if you are a Civil Servant’s widow/er or if the Independent Financial Adviser has gone out of business, has been taken over or changed its name.

If you feel that you or a loved one weren’t given the right pension advice, please call us on 0800 169 5925, email or use our callback form and our team will contact you for an initial, no obligation consultation, we can then let you know if we can help.

Time limits apply, so it is important to get advice as soon as you can.

Meet Our Team

Meet Sarah, who heads up our experienced Pension Claims team.

Sarah and her colleagues are on hand to help with your claim.