Fee-earner/Solicitor - Civil Litigation [ref:TLWFES09219]
|Closing date:||04/10/2019||Positions available:||1|
(depending on skills and experience)
|Contract:||Permanent||Contracted hours:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
Department: Civil Litigation
Reports to: Head of Civil Litigation
Job Role Purpose
To achieve the best possible outcome for clients through the management and progression of a caseload and to provide advice and support to those clients.
FE: legal knowledge is required (e.g. ILEX or previous experience).
Solicitor: qualified (any PQE).
Experience of dealing with high volume civil litigation is necessary. Must have experience of issuing proceedings, drafting particulars of claim and replying to Defence and Directions Questionnaires.
Job Role Description
- Running a caseload of fee-earning work in accordance with office procedures, making a profitable contribution to his/her department.
- Compliance with the Solicitors Accounts rules, and the rules of the Professional Code of Conduct.
- Progression of claims, achieving best possible settlements for clients.
- Interviewing and advising clients and explaining complex legal matters, ensuring that advice provided is legally accurate and reflects current legislation and finding a solution in line with the client’s objectives.
- Providing a superior service to the client, ensuring that all client work is dealt with effectively and the client is kept regularly informed about progress and costs.
- Analysing, researching and summarising legal information.
- Ensuring good working relationships with external institutions and organisations, third parties, medical agencies etc.
- Transferring and sharing knowledge with other fee-earners and any junior members of staff.
- Time recording of all client work.
- To do all such other things which are, in the reasonable opinion of the firm, ancillary, necessary or conducive to the role and responsibilities outlined above.
The following will depend on the specific role and/or level of experience:
- Risk assessment of new claims.
- Dealing with complex issued files.
- Attendance at court hearings.
- Setting quantum levels for settlement.
- Solicitors Code of Conduct.
- Case law.
- Civil Procedure Rule and Practice Directions.
- Legal procedural knowledge.
- Statute and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Active listening skills, including the ability to probe and gather further information.
- Effective time management, including the ability to prioritise and organise work effectively.
- The ability to work effectively within a team.
- Analytical skills, including the ability to understand and assimilate information quickly, making sound reasoned decisions, and if applicable reviewing files in terms of liability.
- Ability to negotiate to achieve the most favourable settlement for the client.
- Effective delegation skills, identifying when tasks can be passed to other members of the team (depending on role).
- Research skills in order to assist in decision making and advising clients.
- IT literacy.
- Confidence and assertiveness.
- Honesty, particularly in managing client expectations.
- Sound judgement.
- Commercial awareness (level appropriate to job role).
- Ability to adapt to new processes or areas of law.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Able to display values and personality of the firm.
- Able to manage own development, identifying training.
(including Continuing Competency/CPD if applicable).
TLW Solicitors are a friendly, forward-thinking, successful firm of solicitors. At TLW we specialise in various aspects of civil litigation.
We are committed to providing an open and consultative working environment where we strive to share knowledge and experience and actively encourage team interaction and development.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity in our recruitment practices and will not discriminate on the basis of age, marriage and civil partnership, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, sex, gender reassignment or pregnancy and maternity. TLW Solicitors offer free on-site parking, training and development, childcare vouchers and healthcare.
Unfortunately we are unable to respond to all applications, therefore if you have not received a response from us within four weeks of the closing date, you will not have been shortlisted for interview.